Monday, January 21, 2008

#1 The Weekly Pep Talk - November 26 - December 2, 2007

Ask About Running
The Weekly Pep Talk
First Issue, November 25, 2007
This week is dedicated to runner Jane M. (we've had some great runs
together!)
Monday, November 26 – Sunday, December 2, 2007
Send comments to: Stephanie@AskAboutRunning.com

Hello to All!

Welcome to the inaugural issue of The Weekly Pep Talk; commentary on
life for women who run. My name is Stephanie Atwood. Many of you know
me from my work as a running coach. There is more to life than
running yet, when Running Becomes a Part of Your Life, it will
influence all other aspects. This was the impetus for writing this
weekly digest.

We all have lives outside of our running yet; running has brought us
together in one way or another. I want to share all kinds of news and
information that are related to us as runners and as women!

TRAIN FOR POPULAR RACES
I'm going to choose well known races throughout the country and the
world and give you training schedules and tips for these specific
events. It's always the right season for some great races. Training
schedules include:

• The Kaiser Permanente Half Marathon & 5K
• See Jane Run Women's Half Marathon & 5K
• The Boston Marathon
• The Chicago Marathon
• The Bay to Breakers/San Francisco
• The New York City Marathon
• The Honolulu Marathon
• The Disneyland Marathon
• The London Marathon
• The Nike Women's Half and Full Marathon
• The San Francisco Half & Full Marathon & 5K

If you notice that I'm predominantly indicating races in California,
and specifically the Bay Area, it's because that's what I know.
Please feel free to send me information on other runs. I'll check
into them. I especially want to know if the runs are for women only
and, if they are well organized!

Right now, I'm focusing on the Kaiser Permanente Half Marathon and 5K
Run – February 3, 2008. Starting today, you have 10 weeks to get
prepared for this race. 10 weeks is enough time for either event. For
the Half Marathon, you should already be running, even if not
training officially for this race. I'll give you an intermediate
training schedule for the half marathon. For the 5K (3.1 miles) you
can start from scratch and be ready for this fun event.

The entry fee goes up after 1/11/08 and there is a limit to the
number of participants. All race details are on the official website
http://xnet.kp.org/sanfrancisco/index.html. So, if you haven't
already started training, Now Is The Time!!

INTRODUCING THE AUTHOR
This issue I'll tell you about myself. The research was easy! In my
senior year of high school the entire class had to run a mile for the
President Kennedy Physical Fitness Test, as required for all
graduating seniors. We girls never ran on the track. In fact, we were
not allowed to run in high school running programs. At that time
there was no Title 9.

I failed miserably in my attempt, having no idea how to pace myself.
I felt abandoned by the P.E. Dept. having no concept of how to run
that far. Our "Girl's" PE Program never offered any type of running
program in my entire 4 years of high school. Thank goodness things
have now changed.

However, this event piqued my interest in learning more about my
physical limits and "pushing myself". My chosen graduation present
was a trip to a girl's Outward Bound Course in the Cascade Mountain
Range. Outward Bound introduced me to my inner ability to overcome
both mental and physical fears and obstacles. In addition to rock
climbing, rappelling, and 3 days alone in the woods with no food or
sleeping bag, I completed running a "marathon" at the end of the 26
day course! It was life changing…

I loved learning that a woman like me could do these things! I
blossomed with the realization that I could overcome mental and
physical barriers that had seemed impossible. These barriers were
self-made and I could change them! This was a wonderful awakening for
an 18 year old.

Graduating from high school created many life changes as I headed out
on my own, not knowing what direction to go in. Living on my own,
with a full time job and part time attendance at a community college,
gave me ultimate freedom and limited time. I stopped exercising and
gained more than 40 pounds. Oh, those morning doughnuts, endless cups
of coffee and sitting all day were changing me in ways I hadn't
realized. I had so much to learn about what really mattered.

RUNNING ON A REGULAR BASIS
When I realized that change needed to occur I was positive that I
could make it happen. It would take work and believing in myself but
I knew I could do it! I started running after work in a park across
the street from where I lived. I ran when it was dark because I was
embarrassed for people to see me. Running/Jogging at that time was
not common, especially for women. One time around the block equaled
1/8 of a mile. It took about a month before I ran 8 times around that
block, but I was on my way!

30 pounds lighter and a few years later I ran my first official
marathon and placed third female! Another milestone had been reached
and I was hooked. I have been running ever since.

THE ESSENCE OF THE STORY
The essence of this story however, goes way beyond my love of
running. The true benefit has been the gift of fitness, discipline,
and the psychological/emotional lift that running has given to me.
Running has offered comfort and clarification to me during difficult
times when the rest of my life was in turmoil. There have been many
trials throughout my life (as there are for all of us) and running
has been a steadfast friend. There have even been epiphanies (of a
sort) during my running. Little assists and major realizations have
occurred and, as any runner knows, they just happen! How could I give
that up?

Now, if I had to stop running for reasons beyond my control, I would
have the wonderful memories and knowledge of the commitment I made
when I COULD run. I would carry within me the solace of knowing that
I was given a gift and took full advantage of it while I was able.

You owe it to yourself to use this gift, too. The distance you run is
not the issue. How fast you run doesn't matter. That you get out and
maintain your well-being; that you run to show your appreciation for
the ability to move; that you realize how much better you will be,
for those around you, when you take care of yourself through
exercise; these are what matter!

A USEFUL WEBSITE FOR WOMEN
Amy Montemarano started a new website for women who travel and want
to run with other women during their stay. She offers information for
vacation sites and for business travel. Check out her website at
www.womenruntheworld.com. Isn't this a great idea? Thanks for putting
it together Amy.

UPCOMING BITS AND PIECES:
• Stay tuned for details about the Sunday running program that
will launch in early January, 2008.
• Start preparing for the upcoming running tours to England
this summer and the NYC Marathon in November of 2008.
• Hold on for the official launch of the Ask About Running
Website

The easiest way to continue to receive this weekly digest is to
subscribe to my Yahoo Group at
AskStephanieAboutSports@yahoogroups.com and you'll be on the
automatic mailing list.

Please send me your stories, comments, and questions about life and
running. My E-mail is Stephanie@AskAboutRunning.com. I'm very
excited to see how this digest evolves.

And, if you are training for the Kaiser Half and 5K, be sure to open
the Training attachment on this E-mail or check the group site or
contact me directly. We're going to have a lot of fun with our Weekly
Pep Talk!

Best,
Stephanie Atwood

No comments:

Run Woman Run - Walk Woman Walk

Run Woman Run - Walk Woman Walk
Join Our Women's Running & Walking Club -The WOW Team Contact Stephanie@AskAboutRunning.com
Go to for full details and free, daily words of encouragment.

Women Train for your First Event - from 5K thru a Marathon

Yes, women, YOU CAN do this!

Join us on August 5 at Fleet Feet in Berkeley, 1758 Solano Ave to discuss the details of training for your first competition or a new distance. Walkers and runners are welcome. Coach Stephanie Atwood will go over the women's only program that can take fitness goals and turn them into realities.

Fleet Feet, Berkeley, 7:00 PM, Tuesday, August 5

Stephanie Atwood, AAAI/ISM Certified and RRCA Long Distance Running Coach Trained is founder of The WOW Team - Fit Women of the World. The team's focus is on long term fitness and meeting fitness goals.

We Want YOU!!

Go to http://TheWeeklyPepTalk.com, http://CaliforniaInternationalMarathonGroupTraining.smmsite.com or contact her through Stephanie@AskAboutRunning.com

4 Week Beginners Training Guide For Your First 5K

Where there's a will, there's a way. You can do it! Just check with your doctor first to confirm that you are in good health. We humans are meant to move. 5K (3.1 miles) is within any healthy person's realm of accomplishment. So, start now and participate in your first race. It's so much fun!

Week 1
Monday, Day 1 - Start walking! Walk until you feel tired or have reached 30 minutes, whichever comes first. Do not worry about your speed, or your distance, just stay upright and moving. Write down how long you walked today. Try for a minimum of 10 minutes.

Tuesday, Day 2 - If you walked 30 minutes yesterday, please repeat the same thing today. If you walked less than 30 minutes, add 1-2 minutes to yesterday's time. Do not worry about your speed, or your distance but be certain to increase the amount of time you are on your feet. Write down how long you walked today. Good job!

Wednesday, Day 3 - If you walked 30 minutes yesterday, please repeat the same thing today. If you walked less than 30 minutes, add 1-2 minutes to yesterday's time. do not worry about your speed, or your distance but be certain to increase the amount of time you are on your feet. Write down how long you walked today. Looking good!

Thursday, Day 4 - Rest day! Take a break.

Friday, Day 5 - If you walked 30 minutes before, please repeat the same thing today. If you walked less than 30 minutes, add 1-2 minutes to your previous time. Do not worry about your speed, or your distance but be certain to increase the amount of time you are on your feet. Write down how long you walked today. Going strong!

Saturday, Day 6 - Already at 30 minutes? Great! Just keep it up for a little longer. Then things will get interesting. Still working up to 30? Keep adding 1-2 minutes. Write down how long you walkd today. You're getting there!

Sunday, Day 7 - Women, join my group for a 3 mile walk. We'd love to meet you and, you get some great exercise. Or...take a hike to some place beautiful. Bring a picnic. Walk for health and the wonder of movement. Enjoy the day!

Notes:
Keep your recorded times on a calendar where you can see them. You'll feel good about what you're accomplishing.

If you are already a fit walker or jogger you may use stronger arms and or walk/jog for the 30 minutes.

Please refer to http://www.altbgo.blogspot.com for the rest of the schedule or contact me if you have any questions at Stephanie@AskAboutRunning.com

3 more weeks are coming soon...

Get Fit This Summer, Stay Fit For Life!

Starting June 1 and continuing every Sunday in June, get fit, lose weight, make new friends. Women! Meet for instruction and exercise every Sunday from 8AM - 10AM on how to get fit and stay fit using running or walking as the main catalyst. Topics include weight loss, nutrition, motivation, injury prevention, setting goals, controlling stress and depression, how to stay with a plan.

Taught by trainer/coach Stephanie Atwood. Sign-up at http://www.theweeklypeptalk.com/

Want to see the written version of Week 1. Look below...

Articles About Fitness, Running, Walking, Women Stuff

These articles have been exported from The Weekly Pep Talks, back to the beginning. This way you can refer to them easily, without searching through weeks of gossip and old weekend site descriptions. Your comments are encouraged. I would love to get feedback. Enjoy!!

These articles are available for reproduction at no fee based on fcomplete reproduction of the article and all its contents as well as credit to the author, Stephanie Atwood and referral to website/blogs http://www.TheWeeklyPepTalk.com and http://www.altbgo.blogspot.com

Holabird Sports - Get That Free T-shirt!

Free T-shirt Offer Holabird Sports is an online company that sells sporting goods stuff only online. I contacted them and now have their products on my site. They currently have a promo offer for a New Balance Tech Tee for anyone who is a new customer who purchases more than $59.95 worth of products. Well…one pair of shoes will do that very nicely, thank you! So, if you want a New Balance Tech Tee, moisture-wicking long sleeve tee featuring a screen-printed New Balance logo on the back and Holabird Sports logo on the front, use code RRWE29602 in the promo field during checkout. Limited to the first 250 new customers! Shop for deals on all things running-related with this link or go to our blog. Either way use the code above for your free t-shirt (if available, still).
button

What races woud you like to train for in 2009?